| Offices | Packaging | Contacts | Forms | Feedback | FAQs | Resources | News | Packaging Site Map
Tips for Military Packaging Newcomers
We understand how stressful it can be to dot every 'i' and cross every 't' when doing business with the Government. To help you alleviate the stress in your life, our staff has compiled some tips to assist you walk the straight and narrow path of military packaging excellence. The following are some quick tips to help our new contractors get acquainted with the military packaging requirements.
- Required Documents
- Training - Your key to success! Preservation/Packaging Guide
- Universities offering Packaging Engineering degrees.
- Military Schools offering packaging courses for contractors, Government and Military personnel.
- Procurement Technical Assistance Centers within your State (free training).
- DLA Land and Maritime TKO seminars on Doing Business with the Government, some include sessions on Military Packaging.
- Free OSHA Hazard Communication Training.
- Helpful Resources
- Get help from the DLA Business Counseling Centers (1-800-262-3272)
- DLA Land and Maritime Links to vendors programs, related sites, and publications (i.e. SADBU, SBA Online, DFARS, FARS, etc.)
- DLA Troop Support
- DLA Aviation
- Find out why Military Packaging necessary.
- Read the acquisition guide titled, DoD Packaging Guidebook. It has a lot of helpful acquistion information (For Guidance Only).
- Understand how you can decode the military packaging requirements on DLA contracts.
- Discover what are the most common OCONUS errors as it relates to packaging. Read this information and avoid costly mistakes!
- Be informed about the special heat treatment and marking requirements for wood boxes and pallets used to shipped materiel to European destinations and the penalties for non-compliance.
- Find out what other contractors are asking us, by visiting our PACK FAQ web page.
Below are a couple web pages we encourage you to visit:
- Count the Cost for non compliance on the military packaging or marking of a shipment.
- Know who you may call for packaging assistance (M-F, 6 AM - 4 PM EST)...
- Contracts with DLA Land and Maritime, contact: DLA Land and Maritime
- Contracts with DLA Troop Support, contact: DLA Troop Support
- Contracts with DLA Aviation, contact: DLA Aviation
- Contracts administered by Defense Contract Management Agency, contact: DCMA
- Not certain who to contact within DLA, use our Feedback Form to get the right Inventory Control Point to assist you.
- Find out where you may purchase...
- Find out about BSM (Business Systems Modernization) - the Government's new way of doing business.
- If your company is one of the registered 30,000 plus suppliers, go to the BSM home page - then click on the link to the SIRC, Supplier Information Resource Center.
- If you are a customer, go to the BSM home page - then click on the link to the CRIC, Customer Resource Information Center.
- If you want to learn more about how to participate in the Program, select the BSM 'FAQ' link or drill down into either the SIRC or CRIC links featured on the BSM Home page. You may register as a BSM supplier on the SIRC. If you are a BSM customer with questions, please note the contact information on the CRIC web page.
- Need to search for a RFQ or need a copy of a contract? Visit the Procurement Gateway
- If this your first awarded Government contract with military packaging, here's what we strongly recommend you do:
- We highly recommend you establish a packaging program at your facility. The first step to establishing a packaging program is to train your staff on military packaging. For extensive training or available correspondence courses, contact the Ammo School packaging classes (1-918-420-8813). Check out our training web page for their contact information.
- During this time of acquiring training and establishing a good quality packaging program, we recommend your company utilize a Military Packaging House to avoid delaying contract fulfillments and/or incurring any additional costs for non-compliance. To locate a military packaging house, call your local DCMA.
Remember: Preparation is the key to your success. Train to win! Don't be the weakest link in the National Defense chain. Help us support our troops with excellence!
Content Inquiries: DSCC.Packaging@dla.mil